Skip to main content

Drumming Up a Following

After several years of putting it off and/or being unable to do so for a variety of reasons, I've finally taken up learning an instrument - or, more specifically, the drums. Guitar seemed a little too common an instrument and keyboard was never really my thing, so drums seemed the best choice. Which is why now I sit pondering my next sentence whilst whacking my drumsticks on my bed rather than thoughtfully scratching my chin.

Most of my friends have learned to play some instrument at some point or the other, and most of them stuck with it for long enough to still remember how to play at least something on it even now. I, however, spent my younger years coding or cooking or... well, something that was quite patently not music, anyway. Oh, my parents spent more than their fair share of money on music classes. I just never really had an interest in them growing up. I have spent countless hours, at ages seven and below, at music classes attempting to learn to play the keyboard or the violin or some other instrument. As a kid, I just never really had that much of an interest in music - I'd listen to anything, really.

Over the past few years, though, I've begun to develop something of a taste in music. I've found I enjoy rock and metal, and, to some extent, prog. Rather esoteric choices, I know, for someone whose peers, for the most part, have a taste for EDM and pop, but there you are. It's also rather strange that living in 2016, I, along with most others who enjoy metal and prog, don't really listen to music produced after, say, 1994. But again, there you have it.

I chose the drums because, as I said, everyone and their brother knows how to play a guitar. It's absurd, really, the number of people who learn guitar. I can't claim that drums is that much rarer - there's no shortage of good drummers around - but it seems like a fun instrument to learn, and I'll be honest, I feel like hitting something with a stick is a lot more fun than plucking strings.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure where I was going with this post (I'm still waiting to find out, in all honesty). I guess what I'm really trying to say is, go out and learn an instrument. It's great fun, and it's a good way to kill a few hours of the day. Also, suggesting it allows me to feel all zen about myself. Anyway, tell me what kind of music you listen to and also if you play any instruments in the comments below.

Comments

  1. i've always wanted to learn how to play the drums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, drums are awesome. I've only just started, and I love them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Game

I've a bit of a confession to make: I still play Minecraft off and on (I can hear all the hardcore gamers laughing from here). I even quite enjoy playing it. For those of you who don't know, Minecraft is a game about placing blocks to build structures in an infinite, 3D world. Basically, it's a discount LEGO set for computer-literate people. Much like legos, if you play it after you turn twelve, people assume that you're mentally incapable of dealing with anything more complex. I hate the idea that you become to old to play a certain video game. Unless something involves physical activity that'd be impossible to perform once you cross a certain age, I don't see why it should be age-restricted. I'm seventeen years old, and if I want to spend a night binge-watching Tom and Jerry and consuming obscene quantities of potato chips, that's my god-given right! I think people tend to assume that Minecraft is a simple game. Once you've built a squattish,

Exam Fever

As anyone currently in the twelfth will tell you, with varying levels of dismay, the final exams are right around the corner. Parents everywhere are seizing their children's phones and taking time off from work. Panicked screaming ensues at intervals. I don't believe there's a person on the planet who genuinely enjoys exam season. Actually, I take that back - there's no one in India  who enjoys exam season. Partially, I think this is our own fault. Exams are the most important things in an Indian student's life, so parents seem bent on bottling up all the worry and concern they have about their kid's education and allowing it to spew forth in a torrent of "No more video games!" and "Delete WhatsApp!" commands during the two months surrounding the exams. Small wonder, then, that at 17, I believe the purpose of exams is to seasonally blot the sunshine from otherwise happy lives. This whole exam fever thing does have some upsides. Okay,

No Good Place To Do Mutra Visarjan In This Country...

At least, that's what Chatur Ramalingam seems to think. However, many of our fellow Indians seem to disagree with him. According to them, there are nothing BUT places to do mutra visarjan (for all you poor, masochistic folks - ah, I mean, non-movie-going folks - out there, mutra visarjan means urine expulsion). In case you haven't guessed already, we're going to be talking about one of India's most widely criticized and even more widely practiced issues - public urination. I'm not exactly saying that it's our people's fault - I mean, come on, we have so much urine-related cultural history! Just in the past 50 years, we've had people who've used their urine for everything from watering plants to drinking it (I believe that some people also flush it down their toilets. How wasteful of them). Besides all the historical precedents, however, we also have some more practical reasons for peeing wherever and whenever we feel like. If you've ever seen