Skip to main content

Drumming Up a Following

After several years of putting it off and/or being unable to do so for a variety of reasons, I've finally taken up learning an instrument - or, more specifically, the drums. Guitar seemed a little too common an instrument and keyboard was never really my thing, so drums seemed the best choice. Which is why now I sit pondering my next sentence whilst whacking my drumsticks on my bed rather than thoughtfully scratching my chin.

Most of my friends have learned to play some instrument at some point or the other, and most of them stuck with it for long enough to still remember how to play at least something on it even now. I, however, spent my younger years coding or cooking or... well, something that was quite patently not music, anyway. Oh, my parents spent more than their fair share of money on music classes. I just never really had an interest in them growing up. I have spent countless hours, at ages seven and below, at music classes attempting to learn to play the keyboard or the violin or some other instrument. As a kid, I just never really had that much of an interest in music - I'd listen to anything, really.

Over the past few years, though, I've begun to develop something of a taste in music. I've found I enjoy rock and metal, and, to some extent, prog. Rather esoteric choices, I know, for someone whose peers, for the most part, have a taste for EDM and pop, but there you are. It's also rather strange that living in 2016, I, along with most others who enjoy metal and prog, don't really listen to music produced after, say, 1994. But again, there you have it.

I chose the drums because, as I said, everyone and their brother knows how to play a guitar. It's absurd, really, the number of people who learn guitar. I can't claim that drums is that much rarer - there's no shortage of good drummers around - but it seems like a fun instrument to learn, and I'll be honest, I feel like hitting something with a stick is a lot more fun than plucking strings.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure where I was going with this post (I'm still waiting to find out, in all honesty). I guess what I'm really trying to say is, go out and learn an instrument. It's great fun, and it's a good way to kill a few hours of the day. Also, suggesting it allows me to feel all zen about myself. Anyway, tell me what kind of music you listen to and also if you play any instruments in the comments below.

Comments

  1. i've always wanted to learn how to play the drums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, drums are awesome. I've only just started, and I love them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5K:) - 2017

If you've been following my blog for a while - since the end of 2015-beginning of 2016 - you'll probably remember a post I did last year about the Thousand Smiling Faces project (I also wrote another post about it immediately after). For those of you who are too lazy to click through those links, the Thousand Smiling Faces project was a bunch of us teenagers getting McDonald's Happy Meals for 1000 kids in orphanages.

I was planning to this again on New Year's Day 2017, but couldn't get it to work out. However, Independence Day is coming up, and we're going to do it again, but this time, we've gone a little crazy - instead of working with 1000 kids, we're aiming to deliver 5000 meals! That's roughly  ₹5,00,000's worth of Happy Meals, a lot of burgers by anyone's standards.

We've also got another twist to the thing this year. Seeing as we're doing it on the 15th of August, which is India's Independence Day, and seeing as how McDon…

Talking Trouble

I want to begin this post by saying that I don't volunteer to speak. I'm not one of those guys who's always MCing this or giving a speech about that. I speak in public only if I have no other choice, and those situations come by rarely enough that I've had very little experience actually being on stage and talking.

Last week, though, I was at an NCC camp, and the PI (Permanent Instructor, for you non-NCC folk) staff decided that I should host an event on account of I spoke decent English. Normally, I would refuse, but in the NCC, if they ask you to jump over a cliff, you need to have been over that cliff five minutes ago. You don't get to ask why you're jumping off of a cliff, you just jump. So it was that three days into the camp, I found myself on stage with a co-MC I didn't really know, in a uniform that I had lost the knack of wearing and holding a mic that caught, oh, about 50% of the words you spoke into it.

At first, I was incredibly nervous. The pr…

5K:) - The Process

Well, here we are. The eve of the delivery. We've raised over ₹5, 00, 000 from people around the world, and by the end of this week, we'll have delivered meals to 5,264 kids. We've placed phone calls to nearly 80 orphanages and racked up positively astounding cell phone bills. Before the delivery, though, I wanted to talk about the actual process behind the initiative.
Like last year, we decided to do this altogether too close to D-day: we wanted to do the deliveries on the 15th of August, and we began work on the 1st of August, only 15 days before. The first thing we had to do was get in touch with McDonald's. We called their head office in Mumbai, where we navigated an electronic answering system that was, apparently, designed to make life as difficult for callers as possible. Several minutes and an angry outburst and later, I was speaking to the operator at McDonald's, who connected me with someone else, who connected me, via a third intermediary, with their ope…