Skip to main content

Well, Ma'am, I Just Wanted To Learn...

Oh, the choices the modern teenager is faced with in terms of education. It's quite beyond a joke, I must say. Not too long ago, people went to whatever college was nearby and that they could get into. Now, it's nothing like that. Now that I'm in the 10th grade, it seems like a good idea for me to make a decision about what exactly I want  to do with my life. The problem: I really can't seem to figure out! And this is despite the fact that I know exactly what college I'm aiming for!

For starters, there are all the acronyms. This doesn't really have to do with what I want to become, but I still think it's a problem. Just the numerous exams that different colleges have - CET, SAT, several other ones ending in T - make me want to go AIEEE! I keep reading all these articles on academics and exams and whatnot and find myself doing a Google search on some new obscure acronym roughly every five seconds. That's about as long as it takes me to read a couple of sentences. And then people complain about teenagers using acronyms when they text... the hypocrites!

There's also the fact that you have to choose which school you want to get into - and then choose a bunch of backup schools should you fail to get a seat. Choosing your main college is hard enough, but then on top of that, you have to pick several other colleges too. And THEN you have to work towards actually getting into the college. What are they trying to do, kill us or something?

There is also a question of what exams to take. India alone has around 20 exams at just the national level and who knows how many more at the state/college level. As much as I'd love to take all these exams, I'm only human - and a particularly lazy human, at that. I can only take some of these, and deciding which ones to take is a major pain. Different universities use different entrance tests, so I can't get away with doing only one. Studying abroad means I have to take even more tests. What fun.

As if that's not enough, there's also the fact that I have to decide what I want to do after tenth grade. If I choose to go to a P.U. college, I'd have to choose between the many PU colleges around my area of residence. Should I decide to go to a school and do 11th and 12th, I would have to decide the curriculum - because different curricula have different (conflicting) advantages, even if there's only one college you want to get into. Apart from all that, I also have to consider the logistics, because going to a school that is a long way off means I lose three to four hours that I'd normally spend studying to commuting. As of now, as to what I will do, we're at the stage where we decide whether I want  to go to a PU college or a school.

I'd like to end with a plea to any educators/education ministers/anyone else who could fix this. Please, please, please, from the bottom of my kidney... ah, heart, I beg you, please simplify our education system! All we want to do is learn! We don't want to have to make all these choices! We don't want to take 3, 000, 000 different exams! Also, to all you teenagers out there, if there's only one test left when we go to college, you know who to thank.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exam Fever

As anyone currently in the twelfth will tell you, with varying levels of dismay, the final exams are right around the corner. Parents everywhere are seizing their children's phones and taking time off from work. Panicked screaming ensues at intervals. I don't believe there's a person on the planet who genuinely enjoys exam season. Actually, I take that back - there's no one in India  who enjoys exam season. Partially, I think this is our own fault. Exams are the most important things in an Indian student's life, so parents seem bent on bottling up all the worry and concern they have about their kid's education and allowing it to spew forth in a torrent of "No more video games!" and "Delete WhatsApp!" commands during the two months surrounding the exams. Small wonder, then, that at 17, I believe the purpose of exams is to seasonally blot the sunshine from otherwise happy lives. This whole exam fever thing does have some upsides. Okay,

The Game

I've a bit of a confession to make: I still play Minecraft off and on (I can hear all the hardcore gamers laughing from here). I even quite enjoy playing it. For those of you who don't know, Minecraft is a game about placing blocks to build structures in an infinite, 3D world. Basically, it's a discount LEGO set for computer-literate people. Much like legos, if you play it after you turn twelve, people assume that you're mentally incapable of dealing with anything more complex. I hate the idea that you become to old to play a certain video game. Unless something involves physical activity that'd be impossible to perform once you cross a certain age, I don't see why it should be age-restricted. I'm seventeen years old, and if I want to spend a night binge-watching Tom and Jerry and consuming obscene quantities of potato chips, that's my god-given right! I think people tend to assume that Minecraft is a simple game. Once you've built a squattish,

Learning to Learn

There's an interesting concept that's gotten a lot of traction over the past couple of years called "meta learning".  It's a term coined by one Donald B. Maudsley, who defined it as "the process by which learners become aware of and increasingly in control of habits of perception, inquiry, learning, and growth that they have internalized". Translated from Sciencese, Maudsley is talking about how we figure out ways to become more efficient at learning new information. HR managers (you know, those overpaid dimwits you complain to about your coworker stealing your lunch?) like to call it "learnability". Most people with real jobs don't call it anything at all. In reality, though, it's an extremely useful thing to understand, together with the techniques you would use to get good at it. Myself, I'm a decent-ish learner. Mostly, that's because I've had to learn things on my own quite often - I had to teach myself web design,