Skip to main content

Kid's Blogger Networks


A couple of days ago, my mother sent me an email containing numerous kid's blogging websites that she thought I ought to consider joining to "place my blogs before a wider audience". Seeing as how my life-controlling mother sent me the email, I figured I'd better do what she said and take a look at them. Here's what I thought of them.

1. kidbloggernetwork.com: The first thing that I saw when I visited this site were the big circles in bright colours on the top of the page. But hey, I'm the forgiving type. I figured I'd scroll on down and take a look at what exactly this site was about. One of the first posts I saw referred to something called a "Mommy Club". Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against a bunch of moms getting together. My problem is that that would make it seem like the only reason I'm writing this blog is because my parents are pushing me to. I'm not saying that isn't a major factor - on my own, I'm too lazy to even get off my bum for thirty seconds and make myself a sandwich - but it's not the only reason. 


2. http://www.kidspot.com.au/MySpot-Top-50-bloggers-Easy-Peasy-Kids-Top-50-bloggers-2012+6848+416+article.htm: Yes, I know it's a long URL. Thank god it isn't a newspaper article where you'd have to manually go through and type it out. There's honestly nothing wrong with this network in itself, but it features on this list because it appears to deal with parenting and with parents complaining about their kids. I know we kids have plenty of complaint-worthy aspects, but I complain about what we kids suffer. Not really my kind of thing, but hey, it seems like a pretty OK site. Any parents looking for an interesting blog might want to head over there and check it out.

3. multiculturalkidsblog.com: The name's too looooong! No, I'm only joking. The trouble is, this is another website where parents write blogs for other parents to read (Perhaps I ought to call these P2P blogs ;). It features articles about how to celebrate Earth Day with your kids and little craft things that you can do. Great if you're into that kind of thing, but I, personally, am not.

4. I Didn't Really Have a Fourth Blog, I Just Felt Like Setting Expectations: I'm serious, there was no fourth blog. But I actually do have a sincere, heartfelt request to you: Please leave your comments. I know a lot of people have been complaining about needing a Google+ profile to comment, so I'll try to switch over to a different commenting platform. However, I'm afraid that means I'll lose all your old comments, so I don't really know if it's worth it.

All in all, I guess the networks aren't bad per se - I'm just not sure if I want to be associated with them. So, in my infinite wisdom (read: lethargy) I ask you, O Esteemed Reader, to make the choice for me. Tell me what  you think on the poll below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5K:) - 2017

If you've been following my blog for a while - since the end of 2015-beginning of 2016 - you'll probably remember a post I did last year about the Thousand Smiling Faces project (I also wrote another post about it immediately after). For those of you who are too lazy to click through those links, the Thousand Smiling Faces project was a bunch of us teenagers getting McDonald's Happy Meals for 1000 kids in orphanages.

I was planning to this again on New Year's Day 2017, but couldn't get it to work out. However, Independence Day is coming up, and we're going to do it again, but this time, we've gone a little crazy - instead of working with 1000 kids, we're aiming to deliver 5000 meals! That's roughly  ₹5,00,000's worth of Happy Meals, a lot of burgers by anyone's standards.

We've also got another twist to the thing this year. Seeing as we're doing it on the 15th of August, which is India's Independence Day, and seeing as how McDon…

Talking Trouble

I want to begin this post by saying that I don't volunteer to speak. I'm not one of those guys who's always MCing this or giving a speech about that. I speak in public only if I have no other choice, and those situations come by rarely enough that I've had very little experience actually being on stage and talking.

Last week, though, I was at an NCC camp, and the PI (Permanent Instructor, for you non-NCC folk) staff decided that I should host an event on account of I spoke decent English. Normally, I would refuse, but in the NCC, if they ask you to jump over a cliff, you need to have been over that cliff five minutes ago. You don't get to ask why you're jumping off of a cliff, you just jump. So it was that three days into the camp, I found myself on stage with a co-MC I didn't really know, in a uniform that I had lost the knack of wearing and holding a mic that caught, oh, about 50% of the words you spoke into it.

At first, I was incredibly nervous. The pr…

5K:) - The Process

Well, here we are. The eve of the delivery. We've raised over ₹5, 00, 000 from people around the world, and by the end of this week, we'll have delivered meals to 5,264 kids. We've placed phone calls to nearly 80 orphanages and racked up positively astounding cell phone bills. Before the delivery, though, I wanted to talk about the actual process behind the initiative.
Like last year, we decided to do this altogether too close to D-day: we wanted to do the deliveries on the 15th of August, and we began work on the 1st of August, only 15 days before. The first thing we had to do was get in touch with McDonald's. We called their head office in Mumbai, where we navigated an electronic answering system that was, apparently, designed to make life as difficult for callers as possible. Several minutes and an angry outburst and later, I was speaking to the operator at McDonald's, who connected me with someone else, who connected me, via a third intermediary, with their ope…